QuayQuay cracks me up, she really does. Not a day goes by that she doesn't say something that just makes me laugh. I love that her outlook on life is very simple: let's play! However, I find myself looking at her and just scratching my head wondering where did this kid come from? Babs is absolutely my mini-me, through and through (with the one exception that she loves to play soccer. She gets that from her dad!). But Quay and I have no common ground. If she weren't so obviously related to her dad and at least a couple of aunts I'd wonder if she'd been switched at birth. Most of the time I just can't believe that this kid is really my daughter. But there is one thing that reminds me we do have something in common. We both LOVE our imaginary friends.
When I was a kid I had a whole gang of imaginary buddies: Queenie the English Sheepdog and her 7 puppies, Pitty the cat (so named because she was the exact color of an olive pit), Dickie and Churla (brother and sister), and of course the infamous Erba the Clam (actually a crab). I have very vivid memories of playing with these pals and I have to admit that it bugs me just a bit that Mini-Me Babs has no imaginary friends whatsoever (where did I go wrong?). She will occasionally "invite" Erba to play, but doesn't have any imaginary friends of her own. Now Quay, on the other hand, has a whole gang of her own. First there's Annie (from Little Einsteins), who likes to play board games with Quay. Then there are the "Hundred Acre Wood Friends" (you know, Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, etc) who always come as a crowd. It's not uncommon for me to walk into the living room to find Quay standing next to the open front door, waiting for the whole group to file in. They can be a rather rowdy bunch, and often have to be sent out to the backyard to play. This morning, they all joined Quay for breakfast. I was feeding MungBean in his room when Quay started calling for me in a very distressed voice. She was upset because Tigger wanted to share her Cheerios. I like to promote the idea of sharing, so I told her to go ahead and give him some. She became even more upset at this. "But Mommy," she explained, "the doctor told us not to share our food or we'll get each other's germs!" This is true. Babs has strep and when we took her in for a throat culture the doctor did warn Quay not to share food and drinks with her sister. I'm glad she's taking his advice so seriously.
Anyway, sorry for the really wordy post, but I'm just glad to finally find something in common with my sweet QuayQuay!
No comments:
Post a Comment