Happy Halloween! I'm so glad it's over! I definitely bit off more than I could chew with the kids costumes this year, plus had to help organize the ward halloween party so it was a stressful month, but the kids had a great time and that's the important part!
So here are the costumes this year:
Babs was a woodland elf. She wore layered green t-shirts that were cut on the edges into points, a green ribbon for a belt, baggy leggings, a really cute hat that I knitted, plus pointy toe elf shoes that I knitted and felted. Those shoes seemed like such an easy thing to do until I get into actually making them happen... felting is a stressful process! But they turned out awesomely cute and totally worth the effort.
Quay was Luna Lovegood. She wore a Hogwarts robe (with a Ravenclaw insignia pinned over the Gryffindor one that is on the robe) a wild dress that looks like it came straight out of Luna's closet, a necklace made of milk caps since we didn't have any butterbeer corks on hand, and radish earrings. She asked me months ago if I would make her a dress, and of course I said yes because in July making a dress for a Halloween costume seems like a great idea! In October when you actually sit down to do it, however.... Well, anyway, it got done and she loved it (and a big thanks to my visiting teacher who did the sleeves & zipper for me so I wouldn't throw my sewing machine out the window!)
MungBean was Superman. Last year he did not dress up, mostly because he refused to wear the costume I wanted him to wear. This year I refused to discuss it with him at all. About a week ago he said he wanted to be Batman and would I please sew him a Batman suit. I said no and I was kind of mean about it, but at that point Halloween and I were fighting and I had no patience left for that holiday. But I told him he could wear his Batman cape and we'd paint a mask on his face. Then we got into a major disagreement about how the mask would be and we had to table the discussion. On Friday while we were out buying stuff for the Ward party we found an awesome Superman shirt so I bought it for him and said he could wear his Superman cape and no mask was required for this costume, and he was thrilled and so was I and it was a Halloween miracle!
Trick or Treating last night was a cold and rainy affair, but Munkus and the girls were real troopers and brought home a TON of loot! (MungBean opted to come home early and help me pass out candy to soggy and shivering trick or treaters, but he still had plenty of candy of his own!) Overall it was a great holiday and I am so glad that it's over and maybe next year we'll just buy costumes. (But probably not!)
So here are the costumes this year:
Babs was a woodland elf. She wore layered green t-shirts that were cut on the edges into points, a green ribbon for a belt, baggy leggings, a really cute hat that I knitted, plus pointy toe elf shoes that I knitted and felted. Those shoes seemed like such an easy thing to do until I get into actually making them happen... felting is a stressful process! But they turned out awesomely cute and totally worth the effort.
Quay was Luna Lovegood. She wore a Hogwarts robe (with a Ravenclaw insignia pinned over the Gryffindor one that is on the robe) a wild dress that looks like it came straight out of Luna's closet, a necklace made of milk caps since we didn't have any butterbeer corks on hand, and radish earrings. She asked me months ago if I would make her a dress, and of course I said yes because in July making a dress for a Halloween costume seems like a great idea! In October when you actually sit down to do it, however.... Well, anyway, it got done and she loved it (and a big thanks to my visiting teacher who did the sleeves & zipper for me so I wouldn't throw my sewing machine out the window!)
MungBean was Superman. Last year he did not dress up, mostly because he refused to wear the costume I wanted him to wear. This year I refused to discuss it with him at all. About a week ago he said he wanted to be Batman and would I please sew him a Batman suit. I said no and I was kind of mean about it, but at that point Halloween and I were fighting and I had no patience left for that holiday. But I told him he could wear his Batman cape and we'd paint a mask on his face. Then we got into a major disagreement about how the mask would be and we had to table the discussion. On Friday while we were out buying stuff for the Ward party we found an awesome Superman shirt so I bought it for him and said he could wear his Superman cape and no mask was required for this costume, and he was thrilled and so was I and it was a Halloween miracle!
Trick or Treating last night was a cold and rainy affair, but Munkus and the girls were real troopers and brought home a TON of loot! (MungBean opted to come home early and help me pass out candy to soggy and shivering trick or treaters, but he still had plenty of candy of his own!) Overall it was a great holiday and I am so glad that it's over and maybe next year we'll just buy costumes. (But probably not!)
6 comments:
So cute. I love little Mungbean's personality. Wish we lived close I bet he a Lucas would get in a lot of heated discussions.
Ha ha! Love it. Making Halloween costumes is for the birds. I got Audrey a hat with ears on it and put eyeliner on her nose and presto! A polar bear!
I love your costumes. You did such a fantastic job. So cute.
Great post with a lot of detail. I really could have used a couple of Halloween Miracles when trying to agree on suitable costumes for my boys.
I agree with Melissa...Mungbean's personality shines out in every post. He reminds me of his Grandpa,taking exception to every occasion. I love reading about your adventures
You're a better mother than I am. Connor spent all weekend making his costume out of cardboard boxes, tape, and spray paint. When my other kids asked me what they were going to be for Halloween, I looked at them like they were crazy and told them I had no idea. Somehow, they all left the house that day in costume. Even Zander, who refused to wear a costume to a Halloween party earlier in the week. Can't wait to see our three boys together again!
Post a Comment