Friday, August 21, 2009

First Day of School--part one

Don't get me wrong, I really loved this summer vacation. We had a lot of fun, we accomplished a lot, we enjoyed our time together. But I was still so excited to send my big girl off to second grade! And as you can tell from the picture, she was excited too! The morning went quite smoothly, despite the original first-day-of-school outfit---which had been carefully laid out the night before, and lovingly donned the moment Babs arose---being drenched when one of the fish bowls was accidentally overturned. But the fish was saved, the bowl was cleaned, the clothes were washed (and were worn on the second day of school, so not too bad) and the carpet was dried out. Phew. And we still managed to squeeze piano practice, chores, and scriptures in before school! Wow!
And off she goes with her walking buddies! Bye Babs, have a great day!!!
You can see Quay there in the midst of the big kids, just wishing she was going to school too. Kindergarten doesn't start till next week, so she still has a few days to wait... and wait... and wait...
The first day of school also marked the opening of soccer season and the girls played in their first game last night. Quay hasn't been on a soccer team since a disastrous season a few years ago. But this year she really wanted to play and we managed to convince the good folks at the city sports department to let the girls play together on a team. The game was about what you'd expect from a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds... but I was so impressed with how my gals played! Babs ran harder and faster than I've ever seen and she probably kicked the ball more times during that game than she has in her entire soccer career! And Quay volunteered to play goalie for one quarter. We were all a little shocked, but she did a fantastic job, even diving to stop the ball several times. She saved more goals than she let in and was only kicked in the face once... and after a few tears and a hug from Dad, got right back to work helping her team! I was so proud of both of them! MungBean was livid that he didn't get to play, and kept telling me he needed to go to his position every time the coach subbed out the players. And in all the hubbub, of course I forgot the camera, but I'll do my best to get a pic posted before the end of the season.
So, this post is a day late and a picture short, but it's been a good week here.

3 comments:

BeeP said...

She looks so cute on her first day of school! I hadn't heard about the "fish bowl turned over." Sounds like a great game!

Jen Morrison said...

that's so great about school and soccer! So fun! Awesome that you guys took the whole fish bowl thing in stride.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I love her first day outfit, so cute and so her.

Soccer sounds like so much fun.