We spent the weekend digging out our gardens. You know how real gardeners clean things up in the fall when everything dies and the season is over? Yeah, we don't do that. We like to keep all the dead stuff around all through the winter so that when the snow melts everything looks depressing and horrible. So since we've had so many many days of decent (actually, BEAUTIFUL) weather we finally got around to clearing things out. We also did what we've been threatening to do for years and pulled out some sod to expand our veggie garden. I don't think we're going to plant more, just smarter this year... you know so everything doesn't just choke each other out and so I can actually get in there to harvest things. (Remember last year's monster zucchini... this year's goal is to harvest before the zucchini take over the neighborhood). We didn't take any pictures while we were working, which is too bad because it really was a family project and all three kids were out there with us digging and pulling weeds and stuff. But even without pictures, we still have mementos... in the form of seriously aching muscles. Ah, Springtime!!!
PS-- For the second year in a row I didn't see any worms while we were digging around. Don't give me the line about it still being too early in the season and they're hibernating. They never showed up at all last year, and so far this year no sign of 'em. What do I do???
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't know that I've EVER seen an earthworm out here! Maybe we should just go buy some and throw them in there and hope they survive. It couldn't hurt, right?
You just need to come get some off our rock wall. Carter finds them every day up on that.
Go buy a package of hotdogs and put them in the ground - I hear they are chuck full of earthworms.
Why do you need earthworms? I hate all worms, and feel a little sick after reading your other comments.
Good work. We are the same way with the clean up from the year before. I'm thinking Colleen's idea is good. We all need more than we have, I think.
Our soil is so clay-like I think it suffocates them, but you could buy them at a fishing store and put em to work!
Post a Comment