Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Healthy Baby Boy



MungBean went to the pediatrician today for his 15 month checkup (he's 16 1/2 months old, but whatever). Everything looks good. He's 23 lbs 11 oz, 31 inches tall, which is the 25th percentile for height and weight. As for that noggin of his ("it's got its own weather system!") 97th percentile! The doctor asked if he was talking. I said yes. Can he say 8 words? I said yes again. But now is the time for true confessions. I think he's saying plenty of words, but here's what they sound like:

duck (truck)

duh (door)

dut dut (night night or all done)

dutch (lunch)

deesh (juice or kiss)

deetch (teeth)

gerge (Curious George)

He also says "shoes" but I can't remember how he pronounces it. And he uses several signs, follows directions, and answers yes/no questions. So I'll take a poll: developmentally on track speechwise or panic time? What do you think?

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Emily. Having been down the "developmental speech freak-out" road, let me reassure you, you have nothing to worry about! They really do say that any sound that stands for a word - and you know what it is - counts as a word. And if he's saying "k", "ch" and soft "g" sounds, he's probably actually even ahead of the game.

And, p.s. I have A LOT of good info on speech milestones, as well as other developmental areas (including an in-depth assessment I snatched at one of my internships), if you ever want to reassure yourself further. :) (And anyone else reading this that might be interested is also certainly welcome to come raid my hoard of papers anytime). :)

yes, having 3 kids in speech therapy has made me into an obnoxious self-proclaimed expert. Really, though, I've learned a lot!

Kristen said...

oh, crap! I just realized I did a no-no in my previous comment - but I don't want to erase it all and write it again.
If you feel the need to erase it, for the sake of what I typed that I was not supposed to type, I won't be offended!! I'm sorry!!

Colleen said...

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry at this point. :) They didn't ask whether everyone could actually understand those 8 words!

Melissa said...

Couple of things

He is so darn cute why does he love that camera. I can't even get Lucas to look at the camera.

Are you worried about him being top heavy and his head causing him to fall.

Lucas cannot say all those things and I have not been worried at all. Maybe I should be worried. Thanks!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

At least you counted. Whenever the Dr. would ask me I would say, "I think so." I didn't pay attention to such things enough.

Jen Morrison said...

I don't remember Carter even saying 3 words until past 2 years old and he turned out okay so I wouldn't worry. :-)

BeeP said...

I know about babies and big heads! Let's start a "Big headed baby club," then we can knock all the kids with little heads! :-) (to make ourselves fill better-hahaha) Whatcha think?!

Amber Baker said...

Oh yes--I just went to Amelia's 2 year appt (she was 27 months), and apparently she should be saying 50 words. I think her problem is/was the Binky, she tries to talk with it in. So we have one day under our belts of no binky. Her words sound like Mung Beans, "Thank You" being "dan-du", and Annabelle being "nannab" So, I wouldn't worry. At least I'm trying not to for my own kid! :)

bonitinha said...

Thanks for all the reassurance. I keep trying to be cool about it and remind myself that there's a wide range of normal. As for that big head, it's no surprise he's got a scrape on his chin and a bruise on his ear and a lump on his forehead... etc etc etc.