I have a love/hate relationship with spiders. In my brain, I love the fact that they kill annoying bugs that I have no use for like mosquitoes and flies. But when I see one in my territory, I don't hesitate to squash it. Circle of Life. But I have a severe intense fear of Black Widows. I've never lived anywhere that they were common till now, and for the last few years that we've been here I've heard a lot about them, but never come across one. But apparently it's a big year for spiders, because suddenly Black Widows are all over the neighborhood. So I've been finding myself becoming more and more and more nervous about them. Last night I finally googled "First Aid Black Widow Bite" so I could be prepared. The first site I came to (MayoClinic.com) had this comforting bit of info:
"Both [Black Widows and Brown Recluses] prefer warm climates and dark, dry places where flies are plentiful. They often live in dry, littered, undisturbed areas, such as closets, woodpiles and under sinks."
Hmmm, plenty of flies, lots of undisturbed clutter, yup that sounds a lot like my house!!! And sure enough, this evening we found 2 Black Widows on our front porch hanging out in their webs! Aaaaaaaaa! OK, time for some good news. Their bites are rarely fatal. So if you come by to visit me and one of my Black Widows bites you, just call 911 and they'll get you some antivenom and you'll probably be ok.
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I've seen them in my (littered, undisturbed) window wells, but nowhere else. So I figure as long as no one falls into a window well, we should be ok. :)
Our RS pres was bit once (not while living here) - you should ask her about it, it's quite the story! (but it really won't help your paranoia, so maybe it's best not to).
If you don't like spiders, you'll have sympathy for my cousin that also lives here in the Ranches--they found a TARANTULA in their garage last week. That is a spider I will totally freak out if it comes near me. Black widows too. Keep your "friends" at your place please, and don't send them to us :P
I have the same sort of arachnid relationship as you do. Black Widows also freak me out. I knew a girl who was bit while she was sleeping and it didn't kill her so I felt better about it after I learned that.
Snakes are my thing, but a couple years ago I found a mondo spider in the house, and had to call a neighbor to come and squish it. It looked like it was giving birth in my house so I freaked out!
Yeah, I hate spiders. And I've recently discovered that my cats were apparently my pest control because they're all over my house lately! Black widows freak me out too. I haven't ever found one indoors, so that's good enough for me.
Yeah, maybe we should think seriously about getting another cat. I figured I'd wait for evidence of mice, but if our cat was keeping spiders away too, maybe I should reconsider!
Okay, you talked me into it. We will be down to visit tonight and I would like to sleep under the sink!
I miss your posts where have you gone.
Post a Comment