Wednesday, November 19, 2008

By Popular Demand

The people asked, so I'm posting my recipe for the chicken and white bean chili I made for the yard sale/bake sale/chili sale last weekend and also the ward chili party last fall. By "my" recipe, I of course mean "my friend Heather's" recipe. I have to give her major props for this; she needed chili for a ward chili cook-off a couple of years ago so she threw a chicken in the crock pot and kept adding interesting ingredients till she was satisfied. The results were legendary and she graciously shared her secrets with me. And I'm happy to share her secrets with the entire blogosphere. If you're looking for a chili that's not your typical chili, this is your guy. It's so yummy! And now, without any further ado....

Fair and Delightsome Chili
1 roaster chicken, cut up
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large sprig fresh rosemary
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic peeled, but left whole
2 T whole allspice
3 small dried habaneros
1 pt heavy cream
4-6 cans white beans, drained (Navy, Great Northern, Cannellini, etc)

Place chicken, thyme, rosemary, onion, and garlic in crock pot, cover with water. Cook on high 2 hours. Crush allspice and habaneros to the consistency of salt and add to crock pot. (I'm not as kitchen-cool as Heather and I don't grind my own spices. Instead I used 2 teaspoons ground allspice and 1 tablespoon ground ancho chile... because I couldn't find dried or ground habaneros.) Cook an additional 3 hours on high (5 hours total and chicken should be cooked through). Remove chicken and debone carefully. Remove herb stems. Puree broth (with a stick blender if you have one). Return chopped chicken to broth. Add cream and beans and heat through. Adjust seasonings (you'll probably need to add salt at this point and you may want more spice since all those beans really bland things down). Enjoy!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

That chili was REALLY good. Thanks for the recipe!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

That sounds yummy.

Lindsay said...

I tried it, it was great. Thanks for the recipe. Now I know what's for dinner tonight.

Jen Morrison said...

Yum, I totally love this chili! Thanks for sharing the secret!

Amber Baker said...

I remember from last year ward party. I'm going to try this one--so good!