Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Yellowstone, Summer 2006

Yellowstone is a truly amazing place. Wild and kinda scary and unreal. We had a great trip there a couple of years ago and here are a few of my favorite pictures. Above, you can see the girls posing in the exposed roots of a tree growing up out of the rock. Crazy!
Here we all are at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone which had amazing waterfalls. We were pretty sure the whole time that one of the girls was going to fall off the edge. We're glad to report everyone made it out safely.

No trick photography here, those bison were actually that close. Driving through Yellowstone is interesting because traffic frequently gets stopped for bison or other animals wandering down the road.
The girls loved seeing all the geysers. Here they are imitating a geyser. Even though this trip was a long time ago, Quay still talks about the geysers we saw. Every now and then if she sees smoke or dust rising in the distance she'll point and say, "Look, a geyser!" They really made an impression.

Quay also liked peeking through the cracks in the boardwalk. She didn't want to miss anything at all. It really was a wonderful trip, despite the natural hazards. If you haven't had the opportunity to visit Yellowstone, I highly recommend it. It really is like nowhere else on earth. Oh, and lest you have any misconceptions, no we did not camp, we stayed at a hotel with real beds and showers and toilets and we ate at restaurants. We do not rough it.




4 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Hey, anywhere other than your own bed is roughing it.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I'm with Jennifer - although I was going to say packing three wild animals and a grouchy bear into a car with one partially sane mom and driving for a greater distance than "out of the garage" is roughing it!

bonitinha said...

Oh, it was only 2 wild animals. MungBean missed out because he was still chillin in the pre-mortal life.

Kristen said...

We've taken the older 2 (when they were about 4 and 2) to Yellowstone. And we camped, no less. But it seriously freaked me out! Way too dangerous to have young kids running around! I was a basket-case the whole time. And since having my next 2, I have a feeling we won't be going back for quite some time.
But I agree it is quite an experience. For adults.
(even then, you've heard those stories about crazy people going night-swimming and diving into hot pots and such, right?? I really hate hearing about all the various ways people have died there. The possibilites are endless!)