Friday, May 9, 2008

Darn you, Winnie the Pooh!


It started early in the week when Babs and I were reading the last chapter in "The House at Pooh Corner," which overall is a delightful book to read to your kids (or to yourself, really). But that last chapter (spoiler alert, if you haven't read it) is about Christopher Robin growing up and not hanging around in the Hundred Acre Wood with Pooh and the gang so much anymore. To quote:

"Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred."

Pooh thought for a little.

"How old shall I be then?"

"Ninety-nine."

Pooh nodded.

"I promise," he said.

Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.

"Pooh," said Christopher Robin earnestly, "if I-- if I'm not quite--" he stopped and tried again-- "Pooh, whatever happens, you will understand, won't you?"

"Understand what?"

"Oh nothing." He jumped to his feet. "Come on!"

"Where?" said Pooh.

"Anywhere," said Christopher Robin.


And reading it to my almost-six-year-old who, like Christopher Robin, is learning so much at school and growing up so fast and all, was a bit more emotional for me than I expected. But I consoled myself that Babs doesn't have a lovey like Pooh to outgrow. So it's not quite the same.


And then it happened.


Two days later, we were walking Babs to school and QuayQuay brought along Giraffey.


And Giraffey hasn't been seen since.


We checked the playground and the lost and found and the whole house. She's gone.


But the worst of it is (and here's where Christopher Robin comes in) Quay is ok about it. I'm not. Not at all. But Quay hasn't shed a tear. She has mentioned in the course of conversation that she's sad that Giraffey is gone and that she misses her. But she's gone to bed without mentioning her every night since the disappearance, and woken up cheerfully every morning. And that's what breaks my heart. I'm just not ready for her to be ready to face life without Giraffey who's been her best friend and constant companion since she turned one. I love Giraffey. I love that Quay loves her with all her heart. I was not expecting this sudden growth spurt that she would outgrow this major piece of her childhood suddenly and without warning. I know I should be grateful that she's not all broken up. But the fact that she's over it is almost more than I can take.


So I'm trying to look on the bright side. Giraffey has always been adventurous. I like to think that she's gone on to a new adventure: school. (That's where we were heading with her that last day, after all.) Christopher Robin's friends are quite concerned with who's got Brain and who's got Fluff, so maybe Giraffey decided to go get herself some Brain. I wish her the best of luck.


"The House at Pooh Corner" ends like this:

So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.


We love you Giraffey. We miss you.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Great post!
Pooh can be so philosophical. :) And it's true, and sad, how childhood comes to an end - and we are probably more affected by it than they are.

Colleen said...

Ooh, that's sweet. I remember Giraffey from church! :)

I don't think it ever occurs to kids how difficult it is for their moms to watch them grow up. My mom tells me that on my first day of kindergarten I hopped on the bus, happy as can be, while she stood on the curb and cried. I never quite understood that until Elijah turned two and I read online that he was officially a toddler, not a baby anymore! And then I was the one crying.

Melissa said...

First of all I am crying right now for my sweet little quay. Second of all my heart dropped into my stomach when I read that Giraffey is gone. Third of all I can't believe I am handling it worse than Quay. I hate these little ones growing up.

Amber Baker said...

I cried a little for giraffey and kids growing up.

Jen Morrison said...

Oh that is heartbreaking! I completely understand where you are coming from and I really hope that Giraffey turns up soon even though Quay is okay about it. It is so bittersweet to see them grow up. There are things I can't bear to part with just because Carter's babyhood memories are so wrapped up in them.

Grandma Sally said...

I too love Pooh and Christopher Robin and I too cried that Giraffey is gone (and I never even met him!) Your description is sooo sweet. I love keeping up on your little family.
Love, Aunt Sally

Meredith said...

I'm all teary-eyed, and I had to scroll past the post that said she was back in order to read about how she was gone! A well written and moving post. I try to suppress my feelings of sadness at my kids growing up, thanks a lot for making me face it!